Grief and Sadness Around Holidays

 

Hand-drawn and cut out heart on black cardboard. The heart has a hand-drawn pattern of checks in red and blue texta on white paper.


I wrote a post called "Comforting Holiday Plans" at my blog Living With Evidence. It's a personal discussion of grieving during a holiday season. I include these links for people grieving:

With a giant hug to everyone with any kind of deep heartache now.

Hilda Bastian

December 2022

Artwork by my son, Adam. Explanation from my post:

This heart warms my heart. It’s from a card my son made me. I don’t remember how young Adam was then, but this labor of love for his mother is now a very long way over two decades old. The heart, so carefully drawn and cut out, is attached to the handmade black card by a paper chain, engineering a pop-out effect. So special! I don’t remember the occasion – it just says “Ich liebe meine Mutter” inside, but that’s handy now: It can serve as a conduit to his love at any time. So this dear little card is doing Christmas duty.


Comments

  1. How beautiful and precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. Came over here after reading your piece from The Atlantic. So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment